HOT 97: DJ Snake shares Exclusive DJ Premier Remix + Why he gives music for free!
During his trip to New York to smash the main stage of EDC NYC (TSS was there in full effect as well), French sensation DJ Snake took some time to stop by the Hot 97 studios to do an in depth interview on Ebro In The Morning with Old Man Ebro, Peter Rosenberg & Laura Styles. Hot 97 being the mecca of hip hop radio, has had some great interviews with DJ’s from the electronic music scene like Skrillex & Diplo, Pretty Lights, Araabmuzik and Carnage in the past. Now, they’re sitting down with arguably the hottest name in the game right now. It was clearly a big moment for DJ Snake so we saw a personal and open side of him that we rarely see from the stoic DJ/Producer.
Ebro and the crew were not too familiar with DJ Snake before this interview (clearly). The quote from the host Ebro himself was, “Turn Down For What came out I was like ‘Ok he got one’. Then I heard the track with Alunageorge and I was like, ‘Oh this dude is dope’. Then I heard the record [with MO] and I was like ‘WHO THE FUCK IS THIS DUDE?’”
Well, it’s safe to say they’re defiantly familiar with DJ Snake now. Diving deep into his past, his old music, his new music and his amazing accomplishments so far in his career, we learned a lot about Will aka DJ Snake that we didn’t know before. He also previewed 2 new monster tracks on the show exclusively. One being a new collab with Diplo called “Drop” that’ll be featured in the new Entourage movie and one that’s probably the highlight of the whole interview was, his preview of legendary hip hop producer DJ Premiere’s remix of his record “Know You Like It”. Of course you should watch the whole thing and enjoy it, but here are some quick things off the top that we learned from this interview.
What We Learned About DJ Snake:
- His real name is “Will”
- He almost QUIT DJing 3 years ago.
- He’s an avid hip hop and Hot 97 fan
- The original vocal for “Turn Down For What” was a sample of Redman “The Saga Continues”.
- He’s from the hood…of Paris.
- He produced 2 records on “Born This Way” (The album) for Lady Gaga.
- He’s thinks his DJ name sucks.
- He has a new collab with Diplo coming soon called “Drop” and it’s on The Entourage Movie soundtrack.
- He’s 100% sober.
- He’s working on his debut album
- He dropped out of school at 15 to work in a record shop.
- He’s slightly annoyed that more people don’t appreciate classic hip hop.
- He has a little brother that’s a DJ too…and he thinks DJ Snake sucks!
Ebro affectionately calls EDM the “cousin of hip hop” and this interview really does highlight that connection. DJ Snake’s crossover appeal as a producer is undeniable at this point and the more we learn about him the more we like him. There’s alot to look forward too and hopefully this leads to more DJ’s and producers finding there way up to radio stations and doing more interviews like this.
So sit back, soak up some knowledge and turn those speakers up!
Rage On My People